The transmitter has the capability of providing impedance measurements by determining the resultant impedance across the crocodile clips of the Direct Connection lead while connected to the utility. These measurements can be useful when assessing sheath fault severity. It is also possible to measure potential voltage that may be present on utilities to warn of potentially dangerous or harmful voltages present.
In measure mode the measurement is derived from an AC signal applied to the utility from the transmitter
Impedance & voltage measurements
- Connect the Direct Connection leads to the utility and switch on the transmitter.
- Hold down the key until MEAS is displayed and the measuring icon is activated.
The transmitter display will now indicate the voltage level measured across the connection leads.
- Press the key once and the display will indicate the impedance measured across the connection leads.
The measurement icon will display the following symbols:
- To exit MEAS mode hold down the key until the display reverts back to the normal operating screen.
Impedance measurements using active frequency
- Connect the Direct Connection lead to the utility and switch on the transmitter.
- Select the preferred frequency and output the signal.
- Press the key once and the display will indicate the impedance measured across the connection leads and also the output power of the transmitter.
- Press the key once to return to the normal operating screen.